The Indy Stay-cation: If You Have a Day
Every once in a while, a small adventure is in order; and a little outing can help you mentally hit the restart button. Well, lucky you! You live in the great city of Indianapolis, and you don’t even have to leave town to see some great sights. Let’s assume you have a day to spend. Here are 5 ways to experience a few of Indy’s finest attractions, and if you get up early enough you can hit all of them in one day.
The Thirsty Scholar
1. Fuel Up- Find the coffee shop nearest to you; Indy is full of them! Or, if your neighborhood coffee shop is already a part of your daily grind, venture to another neighborhood and try out theirs. A few of my tried-and-true favorites are Foundry Provisions, The Thirsty Scholar, Calvin Fletcher’s, Henry’s Coffee Bistro, and Mo-Joe’s, but there are MANY more.
James Whitcomb Riley Museum
2. Learn Something- Now that you’re caffeinated it’s time to educate yourself about the history of our beloved city. Visit a historic house like the Morris-Butler House, the Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site, or the James Whitcomb Riley Museum and take a tour. Or, if you love to read, there’s no shortage of books at the Kurt Vonnegut Memorial Library or the Central Library.
Pacers Bike Share and Cultural Trail
3. Take A Ride- Indy has some great trails like the Cultural Trail, the Canal, and the Monon where you can bike, skate, walk, jog, or longboard. Ride along a part of the trail of your choice that you have never seen and grab a bite to eat along the way. Don’t have a bike? Indiana Pacers Bikeshare has you covered!
4. Window Shopping- Whether you purchase anything or not, Mass Ave. is full of interesting things to look at. You might want to explore some shops, people watch, or try on fun clothes and accessories. If you’ve never spent a significant amount of time around Monument Circle, its another beautiful spot to walk around, relax, eat, or take photographs.
Yogulatte frozen yogurt & coffee shop
5. Have a Sweet Treat- What a long day! You deserve a treat. Indianapolis cannot stop opening sweet shops! Donuts, (Square Donuts, General American Donut Company) frozen yogurt, (Yogulatte, Pearings, Indy Swirl) ice cream, (Sub Zero, South Bend Chocolate Company) or just chocolate (Best Chocolate in Town). Whatever you prefer, you can find it.
Well, that concludes our little "choose your own adventure" story. Hopefully you’ve found some new hidden gems!